Jambalaya in a Rice Cooker
You can use any meat/seafood combination you like in this recipe. I've made chicken/sausage as well as chicken/sausage/shrimp with equal success.
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper, seeds removed (I prefer red or yellow)
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed
- 1 can beef broth (10.5 oz.)
- 1 stick butter, melted (you can use less butter if you want)
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
- 1 lb. meat and/or seafood
- 1½ cups long grain rice
- Seasoning to taste
- Peel and roughly chop onion and peppers. Blend/food process them to a slush.
- If using chicken/pork/beef/sausage, chop into bite-sized pieces and brown in a saute pan. (You don't have to cook it all the way through, just brown the outside.) Shrimp can be added to the pot raw, they will cook while the rice is cooking.
- Put all ingredients in an electric rice cooker and cook until rice is cooked through. (I have to run the cook cycle on my rice cooker twice for the rice to absorb all the liquid.)
The rice cooker I use is the Aroma 10-cup Rice Cooker. I'm sure this could be converted to a stove-top cooking method, I always use my rice cooker!